14 September 2009

Banned Books Week

Its that time of year again. Banned Books Week is September 26 - October 3 2009.

Last year I read The Chocolate War, by Robert Cormier. I found it completely un-ban worthy. Honestly its the kind of books that kids can relate to. One that is didactic without beating you over the head with it (Can you tell I am studying for the GRE?).

This year I am going to read And Tango Makes Three, by Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell. Its a children's book based on the true story of two male penguins at New York's Central Park Zoo who formed a couple and were seen trying to hatch a rock that was shaped like an egg. Zany penguins.

Its been #1 on the top ten list of most frequently challenged books for three years. The common reasons given are that it is anti-family (you mean anti-the type of family I think is okay), homosexuality, religious viewpoint, unsuited to age group, and anti-ethnic. I cant imagine what the hell that last one is about. Unless the penguins get into it with some African elephant.

Anyway, soon I will know and will, of course, pass that information along to you.

If you would like to read a banned book (which you totally should!) you can check out lists here. Also, check out the National Coalition Against Censorship website. Tons of good info (there is a perm. link on the right margin as well).

This is an issue near and dear to my heart so expect a couple more posts about it.

Happy Reading
~birdy

No comments: