18 March 2011

Music

I think there is something magical about the Hammond Organ. You hear it often in the music of the 1960s and 70s and more and more these days. I wish I could explain how it fills a song with warmth. Everytime i hear a song with an organ line I can't help but smile.

Think the organ is only for church ladies (Well, isn't that special)? Do you need proof of the power of the organ?

I give you, The Doors. Sure it's a Vox Continental but really...it's still organ-a-rific.

How about Booker T & The MG's classic, Green Onions?

Not good enough, eh? You know the Beatles meant for Let it Be to sound like this. Listen to the organ at 1:50. Tell me that it doesnt sound better than the spector orchestra and i will kick you in your teeth.

There are so many more.

But my favorite is Whiter Shade of Pale by Procol Harum. "Who," you ask? You know, those guys...

"But Bird" you say, "Can you name a song that isnt 30 years old?"

I can name five in fact...
Sowing the Seeds of Love-Tears For Fears
I Had A Dream, Joe-Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Fake Plastic Trees-Radiohead (Organ comes in at 57sec)
I'm Slowly Turning Into You-The White Stripes

I could go on and on...but really, by now you should already be out the door on the way to the record shop eh?


~b

No comments: